League’s Year-Long Centennial Celebration to take place on former Baccarat lot
(Edmonton, AB) – The Edmonton Oilers are gearing up to host the NHL Centennial Fan Arena from November 3-5 on the former Baccarat lot next to Rogers Place. A main pillar of the League’s year-long centennial celebration, hockey fans are invited to check out the free interactive experience honouring players, teams and moments from the past 100 years, including the special opportunity to see the Stanley Cup.
This past June, hockey fans voted the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers team as the greatest NHL team of all time. More than 3.6 million votes for the greatest team were cast over a six-week period beginning at the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
As part of the Centennial Fan Arena experience, Oilers fans will be treated to guest appearances by members of the 1984-85 team in addition to one-of-a-kind historical Oilers memorabilia, interactive digital displays and original video content in the Museum Truck. Also onsite, the NHL is bringing its Clear the Ice Zamboni Virtual Reality Experience – a never-before-seen VR experience that allows fans to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice.
Hunter, the official Oilers mascot, along with members of the Orange & Blue Ice Crew will also be onsite throughout the weekend.
Friday, November 3, 2017
Public Hours: 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Stanley Cup Hours: 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM (*please note that the Stanley Cup will be traveling on this date and these times will be subject to potential delays)
Saturday, November 4, 2017
Public Hours: 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Stanley Cup Hours: 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Sunday, November 5, 2017
Public Hours: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Fans who attend the event will have the opportunity to experience:
– STANLEY CUP® – The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance.
– MUSEUM TRUCK – The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, one-of-akind historical memorabilia, unique photo moments and a social media wall. Customized to each market, the Museum Truck will showcase the history of the NHL and Edmonton Oilers.
– VIDEO TRUCK – A second 53-foot trailer with a giant video screen will feature team highlights, all-access programming, as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances.
– THE “RINK” – A pop-up ball hockey rink will give youth hockey players a chance to shine. Public hours will be available at EdmontonOilers.com.
– CLEAR THE ICE ZAMBONI® VR EXPERIENCE – This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini Zamboni® ice resurfacer and feel their seat rumble before being tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice.
– RECYCLE THE GAME – A special net will be on-site for fans to donate gently used hockey equipment. The equipment will be up-cycled back into the community, continuing the League-wide commitment to improve hockey’s environmental footprint while supporting youth hockey. Run by Sports Central, a donation of equipment will automatically enter you in to a draw for a team-signed jersey.
– HOCKEY IS FOR EVERYONE – As part of Hockey Is For Everyone™, the League is making a $5,000 grant in all 31 NHL markets at the NHL Centennial Fan Arena. In partnership with the Oilers, this grant will be invested into our community going toward youth hockey organizations that celebrate diversity.
The Centennial Fan Arena is a free event open to the public. For more information on times and location, please visit EdmontonOilers.com/FanArena